Skip to main content

School Lunches

It will be back to school soon for the kids.  Lauren goes back in about two weeks, Dominic's school starts up after Labor Day.   That means packing school lunches!! Just for fun, I started looking through the 1927 version of "Good Meals and How to Prepare Them, A Guide to Meal Planning, Cooking and Serving."  This page caught my eye:


I especially like the first suggestion as a dessert for a high schooler.  What the heck is "Date Blanc-Mange in Cup???" I've never heard of that in my life!  Looking at the lunches for a child in elementary school,  Dominic would not be too impressed if I gave him a egg and celery sandwich or an egg and lettuce sandwich.  I'm guessing that would come back in his lunch uneaten. He is actually easy to pack for.  He likes any kind of leftover meat, cold, like chicken, pork, meatloaf, etc.  Lauren likes yogurt or a sandwich.  They both have their favorite "hot" lunches at their respective schools :) Growing up, I usually took a cold lunch (I was a big peanut butter and jelly gal). I can even remember my favorite lunch box - it was a Hollie Hobbie plastic one with a handle - I thought I was super cool.  Just out of curiousity, I looked online to see if they still make them. I found a website that sold "classic" lunchboxes, it was $48.00!! Good grief, I wished I would have saved mine : ) My favorite school lunch consisted of a hamburger, tater tots, corn and a piece of cake.  Funny, but that lunch is still a favorite of mine!! Now, you can buy a pre-made lunch, like a Lunchable, etc.  I actually like those for field trips, because they're so compact.  Do you pack your kid's lunches? what are their favorite lunch foods? or do they prefer the school lunches? I would love to hear!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

It's a "Group" Effort

Since going to the local barbershop is still not allowed where we live, it fell upon us to figure out the best way to shave Dominic's beard and mustache. Typically, Dominic goes to our local barbershop to get his haircut and his barber (Vince) also takes about 30 seconds to shave the beard and mustache. This August, it will be five years that Dominic has been going to Vince. That in itself is a huge milestone as anyone with a child/adult with sensory sensitivities knows. Anyways, earlier in the week my hubby, Lauren and I had all noticed that Dominic's facial hair definitely needed some assistance. I mentioned to Lauren that I needed to find a "social story" about getting a shave. Before I had a chance to find one, she took it upon herself to find one and print it out, it had both an electric shaver and shaving cream/razor stories! That meant so much to me, because she didn't have to do that, she wanted to!    I showed the social story to Dominic and sai...