Skip to main content

Happy Birthday to Dominic



When I found out that I was pregnant at age 40, I considered it to be a miracle.  After Lauren was born in 1996, I had two miscarriages, so I kind of figured it wasn't in the cards for me to have any more children. Those first three months of my pregnancy to say I was stressed, would be an understatement. Since I had lost my two other pregnancies before the third month, I was pretty sure it would happen again. Once I made it into my fourth month, I rested a little easier.  Dominic decided to come about two weeks early.  Today is his ninth birthday and wouldn't you know it, he woke up early this morning at 4:30 a.m.!! Good thing I'm an "early bird!" At first I thought I was dreaming, because I heard talking. Then I was thinking, okay, maybe it was the paper delivery person and they had the radio on.  Nope, it was Dominic, already up with all the downstairs lights on.  When I went down to check out what he was doing, he had pulled out a bag of Chex Mix and was helping himself.  I gently directed him to a better breakfast selection!  Dominic definitely has his own personality.  Lately, he has been telling me, "hi mommy" like a minimum of about 25 times a day.  He will keep saying it until I say hi back :) Dominic has also been administering lots of hugs and kisses to all of us here, as well as one of his teachers at summer school!  He is such a sweet and loving little guy.  We are so blessed and lucky that we have so many people that love and support us.  It means so much to me and our entire family.  I hope that through my blog posts you have gotten to know him (as well as the rest of us).  Every day is different with Dominic.  Sure, there have been many challenges in the past and I know there will be more in the future, but don't all children special needs or not, have struggles from time to time??  Whenever I feel just a teeny bit sorry for myself about Dominic having Autism, I think back to what one of his teachers (Miss "M"), told me when he first started school.  It is something I have never forgot and I don't think I ever will. She told me, "focus on what your child can do, not on what they can't."  She is a wise, wise woman and a gifted and talented teacher.  Miss "M" is also an awesome mom!!  We have been bugging Dominic about what he wants for his birthday all week.  He says, "cake with candles!" Easy to please, huh?  Dominic is all about the cake, ice cream and candles :)  Happy Birthday to my dear, sweet and awesome son.  Mommy loves you very much!


Comments

  1. I find it difficult to put into words how very happy Dominic made me when he came to visit with the family in early July. I kept getting Hi, Aunt Penny throughout the visit and then I had the really special treat of not one, but two precious hugs. He is a delight to be with and I loved spending time with Cathy, Larry, Lauren and Dominic. They truly are "family" to me. Love Auntie Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Auntie, you are definitely family to us too - we are united not by blood, but by love!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

It's a "Group" Effort

Since going to the local barbershop is still not allowed where we live, it fell upon us to figure out the best way to shave Dominic's beard and mustache. Typically, Dominic goes to our local barbershop to get his haircut and his barber (Vince) also takes about 30 seconds to shave the beard and mustache. This August, it will be five years that Dominic has been going to Vince. That in itself is a huge milestone as anyone with a child/adult with sensory sensitivities knows. Anyways, earlier in the week my hubby, Lauren and I had all noticed that Dominic's facial hair definitely needed some assistance. I mentioned to Lauren that I needed to find a "social story" about getting a shave. Before I had a chance to find one, she took it upon herself to find one and print it out, it had both an electric shaver and shaving cream/razor stories! That meant so much to me, because she didn't have to do that, she wanted to!    I showed the social story to Dominic and sai...