Skip to main content

Semi-Hibernation

Earlier this week, the temperature was warm enough that Dominic and I were outside for about an hour before we started getting cold - he didn't even need a hat.  Yes, Dominic, believe it or not, that is the pavement.  It's been so long since we've seen it, I think he forgot what it was!


Our weather has certainly been interesting this winter - we've had rain, freezing rain, sleet, tons of snow, sub-zero temperatures and high winds.  Since the winter began, I have seemed to require more sleep.  The hubby has asked me several times since December, "why are you sleeping so much?" He even told me this morning that my "snoring" kept him awake in the middle of the night. Good grief. Both Lauren and Dominic weren't real great sleepers until they were both about three.  I had to grab sleep when I could when Lauren was a baby:

 
Before they were born, I could sleep through anything. Now, even if they cough or sneeze, my mom "radar" goes up!  Last Saturday morning at 3 a.m. Dominic woke up, came into our bedroom and promptly got sick on the hubby's side of the bed.  I spent the rest of the morning sleeping on the couch in his room. We determined it most likely was a migraine. Thursday afternoon, I went up to just rest for a few minutes on my bed.  Before I knew it, it was past 3 p.m., which wouldn't have been such a big deal, except Dominic's bus comes about 4!! I have taken a nap probably three or four times since the winter began, something I NEVER do :)  A few weeks ago, Punxsutawny Phil saw his shadow and "predicted" six more weeks of winter. Wonderful.  I don't know about you, but I don't take advice from a groundhog. This morning, I woke up past 8 a.m. I am usually up a few hours before that, even on the weekends.  I'm really beginning to think I have been in a semi-hibernating mode lately. Did you know that black bears in the Northern United States and Canada can hibernate for up to eight months?? Wow, maybe those bears are on to something!!  How about you? have you required more sleep since the winter began??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

It's a "Group" Effort

Since going to the local barbershop is still not allowed where we live, it fell upon us to figure out the best way to shave Dominic's beard and mustache. Typically, Dominic goes to our local barbershop to get his haircut and his barber (Vince) also takes about 30 seconds to shave the beard and mustache. This August, it will be five years that Dominic has been going to Vince. That in itself is a huge milestone as anyone with a child/adult with sensory sensitivities knows. Anyways, earlier in the week my hubby, Lauren and I had all noticed that Dominic's facial hair definitely needed some assistance. I mentioned to Lauren that I needed to find a "social story" about getting a shave. Before I had a chance to find one, she took it upon herself to find one and print it out, it had both an electric shaver and shaving cream/razor stories! That meant so much to me, because she didn't have to do that, she wanted to!    I showed the social story to Dominic and sai...