Skip to main content

Making Homemade Granola

A few months ago, I bought a box of Quaker Warm & Crunchy Granola (I think because it was on sale and I had a coupon). That's usually the only way I'll try something new - yes, I know, I'm kind of set in my ways :)


Anyways, I've had a few of these packages for breakfast and they are pretty tasty. But, I've been thinking of trying my hand at making some homemade granola, especially after I looked at the ingredient list on the side of the Quaker Warm & Crunchy Granola package. Guess how many items were listed? Would you believe 22? Yikes. That is one reason why I like to bake and cook so much. I can control the ingredients!  I found several recipes for something called "overnight" granola, but more than a few used a ton of cinnamon (like at least one tablespoon).  As much as I am a cinnamon "gal," even that sounded a bit extreme!  I came up with my own recipe instead. Granola is pretty versatile. I put some into a bowl Sunday morning, added milk and sliced an entire banana on top. I wasn't hungry for lunch for a LONG time :) You can put some in with yogurt and make a "parfait."  I am totally addicted to Greek yogurt right now, so that's what I used for mine Monday morning:



If you are headed out to work, school, the gym, running errands, etc.,  put some in a plastic container or a zippered sandwich bag - it's an awesome snack. Toss some almonds or raisins in (my sister's idea) - thanks sis!  For an after dinner treat - how about a scoop of vanilla ice cream with some granola sprinkled on top?? What's cool about this "overnight" granola recipe is that you do the prep work the night before and it's ready to eat in the morning!!! It doesn't get much easier than that, does it?!?!?!?!?!
 


Ingredients

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 1/2 cups quick oats
2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  In small saucepan, melt butter slowly. When butter is completely melted, remove from heat and add honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Stir with large spoon until smooth.  In large bowl, put the quick oats, old fashioned oats and walnuts.  Pour the butter mixture over the oats and walnuts and with large spoon stir until it is completely covered. In a non-stick jelly roll pan (11 x 17 inches), spread the granola evenly with a spoon or knife.  Bake for 10 minutes and then turn oven off. Wait at least ten hours to open oven.  When ready to eat, pull the pan out and break up into clumps with your hands!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...