Skip to main content

Making a "Classic" Even Better!

I would definitely categorize sugar cookies as a "classic" type of cookie.  Dominic calls them "sugar cookies with sprinkles," because when we make them, there are ALWAYS sprinkles involved!  I'm beginning to think I need to start buying sprinkles by the gallon :) Anyways, what's a way to make a "classic" cookie even better? How about adding chocolate?!?!?!?!?! Yep, I took my favorite sugar cookie recipe, tweaked it a little and added baking cocoa. They turned out awesome and everybody in this house liked them!! Which plate of cookies would you prefer?

No sprinkles?


Or sprinkles?


Who would like to take a guess as to which plate Dominic would prefer?!?!?!

Ingredients

3 cups white flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup margarine, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup baking cocoa

Topping:

1 tablespoon white sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put the one tablespoon of white sugar (for the topping) on a small plate and set aside. In large bowl, put all ingredients in the order given and mix with large spoon by hand until well combined. With the palms of your hands, roll the batter into medium-sized balls (this recipe makes four dozen) and place a dozen balls at a time onto an ungreased cookie sheet. With the bottom of a small drinking glass, dip first in the white sugar and then press down on each ball. Add sprinkles if you would like at this point. With Halloween approaching quickly, how about dipping in orange and/or black sprinkles! Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, let the cookies cool on the sheet about three minutes and then remove to wire rack to continue to cool.  Store in covered container at room temperature for up to one week.

Comments

  1. I like to arrange the sprinkles into images rather than just pouring them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I'll have to try that soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...