Skip to main content

Why We Pursued Guardianship of our Son with Autism


Last Thursday morning, my husband, Dominic and I went to our county's Probate Court and had Dominic's Guardianship Hearing. My husband and I are Co-Guardians, and we were granted "Partial Guardianship," which means Dominic can make some of his own decisions (future educational and vocational placement options, what to wear and how he wants to spend his free time), but my husband and I will make his medical, health care, legal, contractual and major financial decisions. The subject of Guardianship in the disability "world" has been and continues to be a controversial and divisive topic.  I was a panelist for an Autism Conference this past summer and presented on what it's like to have a child with Autism. Towards the end of my presentation, I mentioned that Dominic had just turned 18 and that we were going through the Guardianship process. When the attendees could ask questions, the first person that went up to the microphone started telling me that I wasn't giving Dominic enough of a say in his future. Let's just say she was very angry and combative. I was caught so off-guard, that I really didn't know how to respond. Later on, after the Autism Conference was over, and I had time to think about that interaction, this woman doesn't know Dominic. She doesn't know what he is and isn't capable of. She was making a generalization, based on probably her own experiences. Deciding which route, you want to go with your individual with a disability, when they turn 18, is a very personal decision. Many, many factors go into deciding what is right for your adult with disabilities. In Michigan, there are two types of "Guardianship for an Adult with a Developmental Disability," one is "Partial" and the other is "Plenary or Full." I had heard that if the Judge grants "Full Guardianship," it is basically impossible to reverse. Part of the process before the Hearing was that a behavioral psychologist from Community Mental Health had to administer some tests on Dominic, which we did about three weeks before his Hearing. We were able to see a copy of her report before the Hearing which I appreciated.  The day after his Hearing, I was talking to some business colleagues of mine, and I was telling them that Dominic's Hearing was the day before. One of my colleagues knew about Guardianship, because she has a brother with a disability. The other colleague asked me what it was. I told her that seeking Guardianship of an adult with a Developmental Disability is a way to protect them from possibly being taken advantage of. In the eyes of the law, when Dominic turned 18, he is responsible for making his own decisions. Unfortunately, there are people out there that are appointed a Guardian or Co-Guardian of an adult with Developmental Disabilities that don't have the persons best interests in mind. I have thought from time-to-time about going to law school and becoming a lawyer for those with disabilities based on all the different experiences I have had. Who knows? Maybe one day I may just do that!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...