Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Thank You to the Kroger Clerk That Made the Extra Effort

There was a time when the thought of taking Dominic to the grocery store would immediately make my stomach tense up, because I knew there would be the inevitable "meltdown" at the checkout. Thank goodness those days are behind us! With tenth grade starting this Monday, I decided to take Dominic with me today to the local Kroger. I called it a "field trip."  I let him carry my "list" and push the cart. We were in there quite a while loading up the cart with great deals!


The Kroger was surprisingly empty around the time we went and there was a lane open with no one ahead of us when it was time to check out. I recognized the clerk at the register. I love going to her lane because she is always happy and likes to chat (just like I do)! Dominic helped me put all the items on the conveyor belt and then we both walked towards the clerk to get ready to pay. I made the comment that we were loading up for school (lots of granola bars and Cheez-Its). She looked right at Dominic and said, "so, what grade are you going into?" When he didn't immediately answer, I turned to Dominic and said, "she asked you a question, can you answer her?" Dominic started getting kind of flustered and said, "no, it's Saturday morning." That has become his thing to say when he doesn't want to and/or doesn't know how to answer a question. It's a line from an old episode of Barney. "Scripting" is Dominic's fall back mechanism when he isn't sure of how to respond. The clerk then asked Dominic another question and again he said, "no, it's Saturday morning." I then said, "I'm sorry, he has Autism." She looked right at me, smiled and said something along the lines of, "yes, I know, I wanted to ask him those questions." This awesome gal was making the extra effort to have an interaction with Dominic. She didn't have to talk to Dominic, she wanted to talk to him. Wow, just wow. For once in my life, I was speechless! That doesn't happen very often!! Thanks so much to the Kroger clerk, you didn't just make my day, you made my year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...