Skip to main content

Anyone Out There Still Watching Soap Operas???

In the past six months, two popular soap operas went off the air permanently, All My Children and One Life to Live. Currently, there are only four daytime soap operas remaining on the air. The highest number on at one time was 19 (that was in 1969-1970).  I originally started watching daytime soap operas back in the late 1970's.  I started out watching General Hospital and then moved over to CBS and started watching the "soaps" over on that station.  I have been watching Young and the Restless off and on since the mid-1980's.  As more moms went back to work, the viewership of daytime soap operas went down. One thing about "soaps" is that you can miss several months and within about a day or two you're all caught up!  I can remember watching a show called, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.  I am really dating myself here, it was on in the mid-1970's.  It only lasted two seasons, but it was considered to be a nighttime "soap."  Who can forget the nighttime soap opera Dallas??  The "who shot J.R.?" storyline was big, big news back in the day!!  I loved Dynasty too - watching Joan Collins and Linda Evans go at it all the time was definitely some good television. Both Dallas and Dynasty were on when I was graduating from high school and started working.   Knots Landing was another good one, though I started watching that one and then it went off the air. I have found the different "soaps" I have watched in the past and the one I follow now as a form of  an "escape" from the real world.  Isn't that what television kind of is?  You can retreat to a different place for a little bit and relax.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed my favorite "soap" doesn't go off the air anytime soon!!  What soap operas past or present were/are your favorite??

Comments

  1. i used to rush home from school to catch general hospital every day in high school and in college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the four soaps that are still on - what's funny is one of the characters that used to be on General Hospital is now on Young and the Restless! Thanks so much for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

It's a "Group" Effort

Since going to the local barbershop is still not allowed where we live, it fell upon us to figure out the best way to shave Dominic's beard and mustache. Typically, Dominic goes to our local barbershop to get his haircut and his barber (Vince) also takes about 30 seconds to shave the beard and mustache. This August, it will be five years that Dominic has been going to Vince. That in itself is a huge milestone as anyone with a child/adult with sensory sensitivities knows. Anyways, earlier in the week my hubby, Lauren and I had all noticed that Dominic's facial hair definitely needed some assistance. I mentioned to Lauren that I needed to find a "social story" about getting a shave. Before I had a chance to find one, she took it upon herself to find one and print it out, it had both an electric shaver and shaving cream/razor stories! That meant so much to me, because she didn't have to do that, she wanted to!    I showed the social story to Dominic and sai...