Skip to main content

Read A Story



Three words, "read a story."  I have waited since my son was 3 and just learning to talk to hear those words.  Just in the past couple of weeks he has been requesting a story be read to him.  Our house is full of books.  All of us love to read here, we have overflowing bookshelves. From the time my son was 3 -5 years old if we even attempted to read him a book, his response was to grab it out of our hands and throw it on the floor.   He would also flip through the book not even attempting to look at the words or pictures and then slam it shut. It wasn't just his books he would toss around.  He would throw my daughter's books across the room.  Once he took a hardback book that I had taken out from the library and threw it up in the air before I could catch him.  The book fell on the floor and right out of the binding.  I paid close to $40.00 to the library. An expensive lesson was learned from that experience.  Parents of typically developing children take it for granted that their child will learn to read.  When you are a parent of a child with special needs, whether it's Autism or any other disability, that may not always happen.  I can honestly say at times I had my doubts as to whether my son would ever be interested in books, much less learn to read.  From the time he was 5 years old to 7 years old if I said, "hey, how about I read you a book?", his response was "how about NO please!" Very frustrating to say the least. One of the best investments I ever made was a set of magnetic letters that you can attach to the fridge.  I bought them probably when my son was about 2.  My son is a visual learner.  He likes to take the letters and spell things. Recently, he took every single letter off the fridge, put them A-Z on the floor and then told me "alphabet." I love that he can tell me what he has done. Believe me, it hasn't always been like that.  He is learning that words have meanings attached to them.   Having a story read to him has become part of his bedtime routine.  The hubby used to read our daughter a book every night before bedtime and he would read to my stepson when he was younger too. I'm so glad that the love for reading has now made it's way to my son.  I am confident that his interest for reading will only get stronger as time goes on!!

Comments

  1. What a joyous day it was for you the first time you got to read your son and book. Reading to my children and grandchildren has always been a happy thing to do. My family also loves to read and some of them do some writing. I consider this a gift that keeps on giving. Just read, it doesn't matter what it is, just read. Auntie Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Auntie!! I was just at the library today getting out more books. I have to be careful not to go over the limit of 50!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story!!! Thank you for sharing your positive wisdom and words with others:) I'm so proud of your little reader:) Nikki

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

It's a "Group" Effort

Since going to the local barbershop is still not allowed where we live, it fell upon us to figure out the best way to shave Dominic's beard and mustache. Typically, Dominic goes to our local barbershop to get his haircut and his barber (Vince) also takes about 30 seconds to shave the beard and mustache. This August, it will be five years that Dominic has been going to Vince. That in itself is a huge milestone as anyone with a child/adult with sensory sensitivities knows. Anyways, earlier in the week my hubby, Lauren and I had all noticed that Dominic's facial hair definitely needed some assistance. I mentioned to Lauren that I needed to find a "social story" about getting a shave. Before I had a chance to find one, she took it upon herself to find one and print it out, it had both an electric shaver and shaving cream/razor stories! That meant so much to me, because she didn't have to do that, she wanted to!    I showed the social story to Dominic and sai...