Saturday, April 7, 2012

Dominic and Haircuts

 
One of Dominic's least favorite things to have done is getting his hair cut.  When it was time for his first haircut, he was probably about 1 1/2 or 2 years old.  He got himself so worked up (crying and gagging) that the barber could barely complete the haircut.  We attempted again six months later and he kept trying to get out of the chair and run out the door.  It wouldn't have been too big of a deal, except the barbershop was on a very busy street!!  After that experience, I decided the best thing to do would be for me to cut his hair. When I first started cutting it,  I used a booster seat on the floor and could strap him in so he wouldn't jump up and run around before I could finish cutting it.  He cried for probably the first 5 years every time I needed to cut his hair.  Since he has gotten too big for the booster seat, we started sitting on the floor to do his haircut.  His favorite saying during his haircut is always, "I am all done!!!" He probably says it at least 10 times while I'm cutting his hair.  I think it has something to do with the hair falling on his skin.  It's a sensory issue with him.  He's needed a haircut badly for the past few weeks (as you can tell by the picture above),  but this past Thursday was the first chance I had to cut it.
 

I like to think I've gotten much better at cutting his hair since the very first time I cut it!  This last time, he didn't really whine, whimper or cry.  I think Dominic has resigned himself to the fact he doesn't have much choice in the matter and complies with me.  Sometime in the future he may be able to handle the barbershop, but in the meantime I will remain his personal "barber." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...