Skip to main content

Advice for the New School Year


"Dominic is one of the brightest individuals I met. I was very lucky to have him in my classroom this summer. He definitely made me a fan of Wheel of Fortune. If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to call." 

Wow. That was the note I got from Dominic's teacher on his last day of summer school.  Those four sentences are exactly what I LOVE to hear. When you have a child with limited or no speech and you ask them how their day is at school, you either get silence or very few details. This is the way it has been since Dominic started school at age three. He just turned 14 on July 25. We have been so lucky to have gotten fabulous teachers who call, write notes, e-mail or text.  I admire and appreciate all Special Education teachers, paraprofessionals, aides, speech therapists and anyone else that works with kids/adults in the school system. I know I couldn't do it. Back when we were just starting out, I talked to another mom about her "experiences" with our local school system. She had nothing but negative things to say. Her philosophy was to constantly battle and fight. Hmm. If I had listened and BELIEVED this gal, yikes. My "operating style" is to not believe in gossip and to give everyone a fair chance before forming my own opinion.  As I found out later, this gal had quite the reputation and not in a good way! Needless to say, I distanced myself from her. When we started on this Special Education school "journey," I didn't even know what an Individualized Education Program (IEP) was. I do now. I have always treated anyone that interacts with Dominic in the school system with the utmost respect. They meet many different types of families. I want our family to be remembered in a positive way. Now that we are into August, many schools will be getting ready to open their doors for the coming school year. Since I have over a decade of experience under my "belt," with the Special Education school system, here are some words of advice. Parents and caregivers - if you are just starting out, try to work with and not against those that interact with your child. Always keep the lines of communication open and don't let a small issue become HUGE. Don't expect the school system to do EVERYTHING for your child. That is unrealistic. You need to be a full participant in knowing what is going on with your child. To those special education teachers, aides, social workers and everyone else that comes in contact with those differently-abled in the school system, we know that your job can be frustrating, exhausting and hard at times. I apologize for those parents/caregivers that make your job difficult. It can take a while to accept that your child has special needs. Some parents are never able to accept it. I can only speak on behalf of my husband and I, but since Dominic isn't able to verbalize to us what happens at school everyday, my husband and really appreciate the extra time it takes to call, e-mail, text or write us a note! Here's to a great school year!

Comments

  1. How lucky you are to have this wonderful communication with someone who has such influence on "special" children like Dominic. They are both lucky. Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

It's a "Group" Effort

Since going to the local barbershop is still not allowed where we live, it fell upon us to figure out the best way to shave Dominic's beard and mustache. Typically, Dominic goes to our local barbershop to get his haircut and his barber (Vince) also takes about 30 seconds to shave the beard and mustache. This August, it will be five years that Dominic has been going to Vince. That in itself is a huge milestone as anyone with a child/adult with sensory sensitivities knows. Anyways, earlier in the week my hubby, Lauren and I had all noticed that Dominic's facial hair definitely needed some assistance. I mentioned to Lauren that I needed to find a "social story" about getting a shave. Before I had a chance to find one, she took it upon herself to find one and print it out, it had both an electric shaver and shaving cream/razor stories! That meant so much to me, because she didn't have to do that, she wanted to!    I showed the social story to Dominic and sai...