Friday, July 27, 2012

Parking Lot/Parking Garage "Etiquette"

When did walking through a parking lot become so dangerous?!?!?!?!?  This week when I was running errands, I observed bad parking lot "etiquette."  As far as parking garages go, they scare the you know what out of me! They are so noisy, all you hear are screeching brakes.  They echo so much, don't you just want to put on a pair of earplugs?  When I go to a parking garage, I would rather park far away and walk, then get all stressed out when it's time to leave and I have to back up and pull out of the spot.  Lauren, being a new driver, is still learning how to navigate parking lots.  She does my trick of pulling through the spot and have the nose of the car pointing out.  Okay, back to yesterday.  I was walking towards Walmart and saw a car backing out, I had a feeling the driver didn't see me.  Sure enough, I had to stop in my tracks while he pulled his car out of the space.  I guess I looked a little ticked, so he pulled down his window and said, "sorry!"  I told him it wasn't a problem (even though it kind of was).  After Walmart, I headed over to Kroger.  After doing my shopping, I opened the back of my van and was putting all my groceries in.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a car pulling through the spot next to me.  I assumed they would park the car and get out. WRONG! This lady pulled through really fast, never stopped and then turned and went down the aisle. She missed the corner of my van by inches.  I'm glad I was by myself.  I shudder to think if I had the kids and they were getting in on that side of the van.  One of my few pet peeves are people that cut through parking lot spaces and don't go down the aisles.  I have done it on very rare occasions, but what I notice is that most people just cut through, not really looking.  I have honked when necessary at these people, but most of the time it just isn't worth it.  I get a dirty look or the finger!  Even though I have the right of way, I stop and let them go. I really wish the Department of Motor Vehicles would require a course in parking lot/parking garage etiquette when you go for your learner's permit or license!! It would make me so happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...