Friday, December 21, 2012

Classic Toys and Games

Back in the day before "electronic" toys (Game Boy, XBox, Wii, etc.), kids played with games that didn't involve batteries or a plug :)  I came across this box of dominoes yesterday and was kind of scratching my head wondering where they came from.  I asked the hubby and he said they were his.  He remembers playing with them as a child.


While doing a little bit of research for this blog post, I got a kick out of the games and toys that popped up when I Googled the words, "classic toys and games."  At least 75% of them were toys and games that I used to play with when I was little, like Monopoly, Yahtzee, the Game of Life, Chutes and Ladders, Candyland, Don't Break the Ice and Battleship.  Wonder if that means I'm a "classic?!?" What's cool is we have all those games in our house and I have played them at different times with my stepson, Lauren or Dominic.  How about an Etch a Sketch?


 or needing a View-Master to use these:


Legos have been around over 50 years and are still going strong.  Right now, they are Dominic's favorite toy. He builds all kinds of things.  A few days ago Dominic made an apple.  I usually have to grab the camera real quick, because sometimes he takes it apart a few minutes after he finishes it!


 

I played the card game, Canasta, many times with my grandmother (my mom's mom).  She had quite a poker face.  I can probably count on one hand how many times I beat her! One card game that doesn't seem to ever go out of style is War.  You can play that game for HOURS (and I have)!!  One toy I really wish I would have held onto was my Charlie McCarthy ventriloquist doll.  I had him for a few years until I believe he was sold at a yard sale :( There was a little string that made his mouth move and I actually could talk without moving my lips.  I also had a pair of stilts and would walk up and down the street with them.  The things I used to do when I was younger! What can I say? the summers were LONG!  What are some favorite "classic" toys and games that you remember playing when you were little and now enjoy with your own kids??  I would love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...