Thursday, August 6, 2015

What I Learned From Lauren's First Year of College

Lauren moves into her on-campus apartment in a little less than three weeks. We have bought her textbooks, school supplies and the parking permit for her car. This time last year, we were cross referencing lists, buying last minute things for her dorm room and figuring out how to pack everything into our van for the 90-mile drive to her college campus.


I remember thinking to myself at the time, how in the world would I get used to not seeing her everyday? How would we all adjust? During Lauren's freshman year of college, I learned the following:
  1. It was completely fine if we didn't e-mail, talk, Facebook or text EVERY day. The world would continue to revolve.
  2. Skype is a wonderful thing - we even did three-way conversations with my stepson!
  3. It wasn't that big of a deal having Lauren save up all of her dirty laundry for me for two weeks at a time.
  4. I learned about muscles I didn't know existed when going up and down the four flights of steps to Lauren's dorm room.
  5. It's not necessary to always dispense advice, sometimes it's good to shut my yap once in a while.
  6. I am her mom, but also her friend.
As I wait for the move-in day to arrive, I can't help but feel excited for her. I only lasted one semester away at college because I was way too "homesick," and fell into the wrong "crowd." My husband and I have raised Lauren to be a mature and responsible young woman and to know right from wrong.   Good luck, my sweet girl, as you embark on your second year of college! We will miss you very much, but we are also immensely proud of you. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...