I remember thinking to myself at the time, how in the world would I get used to not seeing her everyday? How would we all adjust? During Lauren's freshman year of college, I learned the following:
- It was completely fine if we didn't e-mail, talk, Facebook or text EVERY day. The world would continue to revolve.
- Skype is a wonderful thing - we even did three-way conversations with my stepson!
- It wasn't that big of a deal having Lauren save up all of her dirty laundry for me for two weeks at a time.
- I learned about muscles I didn't know existed when going up and down the four flights of steps to Lauren's dorm room.
- It's not necessary to always dispense advice, sometimes it's good to shut my yap once in a while.
- I am her mom, but also her friend.
As I wait for the move-in day to arrive, I can't help but feel excited for her. I only lasted one semester away at college because I was way too "homesick," and fell into the wrong "crowd." My husband and I have raised Lauren to be a mature and responsible young woman and to know right from wrong. Good luck, my sweet girl, as you embark on your second year of college! We will miss you very much, but we are also immensely proud of you.