Skip to main content

What This Picture Doesn't Show


Earlier in the summer, I was asked by one of the managers at the Goldfish Swim School if we wanted to "move," Dominic up to the next level since he has been at the beginner level since he started back in April of 2015. I said, "has he learned all the skills to go to the next level?" She told me that he hadn't. I told her the original reason we had started lessons for Dominic at the Swim School was because when we were on a trip to Jamaica earlier in 2015, Dominic and I had started to drown in the resort pool and had to be rescued by the lifeguard. I told her that I didn't want him to be moved up until he learned all the skills in the beginner level. Dominic is twice the age and size of a majority of the kids taking lessons there, but it doesn't matter to Dominic and I. I've never heard any parents make comments or point or anything like that. What this picture doesn't show is everything he has learned in the past 17 months, like having to adapt to new instructors (he is on his third one), gaining self-confidence and having to be patient and wait his turn during the swim lessons. After his class is over, we go over to the dressing room and I assist him in getting his dry clothes on. About a month ago, I said, "hey, do you want to get dressed by yourself?" His response, "yes." I said, "mommy is out here if you need me!" After about a minute, I said, "do you need any help? do you need me to come in?" His response, "no!" Well, that sounds about right for a 12-year old boy!! LOL. There are showers located in the swim area and I ask almost every single time after his lesson if he wants to try and rinse off. His response is always a resounding, "no." He is terrified of taking a shower, I'm guessing it's the sensory aspect of it. He still has a hard time verbalizing his "reasons," for why he won't do something. That is a continual "work in progress." I'm hoping it will be like when he "asked," last summer for a haircut. He has to be the one to initiate the process. We shall see. Last Friday, after Dominic's class was over, I was handed this:


He was "moved," up to the "Glider," level!! I think my smile was as wide as his! We have tried soccer and baseball and it didn't seem to be the right, "fit." I'm hoping that swimming will be.  Michael Phelps, watch out!

Comments

  1. What a wonderful showing of perseverance by student, teachers and mom. SO MANY LESSONS LEARNED BY ALL!!! Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Dominic. We did swim lessons too this summer. Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swimming is awesome. I used to take swimming lessons. I could have gone competitive, but I didn't want to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

It's a "Group" Effort

Since going to the local barbershop is still not allowed where we live, it fell upon us to figure out the best way to shave Dominic's beard and mustache. Typically, Dominic goes to our local barbershop to get his haircut and his barber (Vince) also takes about 30 seconds to shave the beard and mustache. This August, it will be five years that Dominic has been going to Vince. That in itself is a huge milestone as anyone with a child/adult with sensory sensitivities knows. Anyways, earlier in the week my hubby, Lauren and I had all noticed that Dominic's facial hair definitely needed some assistance. I mentioned to Lauren that I needed to find a "social story" about getting a shave. Before I had a chance to find one, she took it upon herself to find one and print it out, it had both an electric shaver and shaving cream/razor stories! That meant so much to me, because she didn't have to do that, she wanted to!    I showed the social story to Dominic and sai...