Sunday, September 17, 2017

An Unexpected "Opportunity"



When Dominic was a toddler, I would take him to music classes and he would cover his ears or bury himself in my lap because it was so overwhelming. Never in my wildest dreams did I think he would go from that to wanting to play the piano!! Dominic has been getting music therapy from the Michigan State University Community Music School for several years and each of the four music therapists that he has had have each taught him something different. He has "sampled" different musical instruments and now primarily plays the keyboard and/or piano during his once a week therapy session. Last year, when we learned of his high interest in playing the piano, we sought out a used one. We found one that was "free" and only paid to transport it. This past summer, he refused to play every time I "told" him to. I realized I had to "ask" him! Good grief. Dominic doesn't read music, he plays by memory. Anyways, flash forward to this coming Wednesday. Two of the non-profit organizations I am affiliated with are joining together to sponsor a music event in the evening. Last Wednesday, his music therapist handed me a sheet of paper listing the songs and order of everything for the joint music event. I noticed Dominic's name was next to five of the songs. She told me he would be accompanying on the piano!! What an incredible and unexpected opportunity for Dominic. This afternoon, I reminded him about Wednesday and asked him to practice, then handed him the sheet with the songs. He has been playing for a couple hours already!! We are expecting a big group on Wednesday night, so I hope he doesn't get "stage fright!!!!"

1 comment:

  1. He is always full of surprises because you give him the freedom to make choices. Love, Auntie. Will be thinking of you all on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...