Monday, October 16, 2017

The E-mail Every Special Needs Parent Hopes to Receive For Their Child

Last Thursday morning, we had Dominic's Individualized Education Program meeting (IEP). For those unfamiliar with what an IEP is, it is a document laying out objectives, goals and services for your student if they are in the special education system. Dominic has had an IEP since he started in the public school system when he was three years old. When I had talked to the school psychologist recently (before the IEP) about areas Dominic could improve in, I had mentioned that Dominic didn't really hang out or have play dates with other boys his age outside of school, go to sleepovers or do those other things 13-year old boys do.


It doesn't really bother Dominic and I, but at the same time, I feel it would be good for him socially to be around kids his own age. I think it's a common thought for special needs parents. Anyways, Dominic's IEP went well and I mentioned it would be great for Dominic to get more socialization. The others at the IEP, which included his teacher, speech therapist, social worker, etc. assured me that he was around other kids frequently during the school day. I asked about what would happen next year. They told me he would be heading to the high school and there would even be more chances for Dominic to be around typically-developing and special needs peers. That put my mind at ease. Imagine my surprise and delight, when I checked my emails after the IEP and found this message from a mom I had met during Dominic's last swimming class this past Tuesday:

Hello Cathy,

It was nice meeting you earlier this week.  I always appreciate a positive connection with another mom especially one who probably shares a similar day as I do! Anyways, I just wanted to say hello and reach out to see if you would like to join me and my son for a Mom/son play date sometime?  
 
It seems like when you least expect it, an opportunity just kind of falls into your lap! The little boy we are going to get together with is also on the Autism Spectrum, so it should work out well. Hopefully, it's the first of many times!!!

1 comment:

  1. As usual you found an angel who made a connection. I hope this turns into a wonderful happening for you all. Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...