Thursday, December 7, 2017

I'm Proud of You, Dad


Back at least two months ago, my dad asked me a question. He LOVES history and as much as he's tried to get me interested, I'm just NOT. He has been at his assisted living facility back in Maryland for a while now. It's been hard on him at times, because he moved out of the family home where he had lived for several decades. Anyways, you're probably wondering what the question was, right?? Well, he asked me something like, "something very important happened on December 7th, it's Pearl Harbor Day." He went on to say that he was thinking of giving a talk to the other residents about that day. This would involve him going to the activities coordinator and getting him on the monthly "schedule." He asked me my opinion of what he wanted to do. Without hesitation, I said, "YOLO." He asked me what that meant. I told him "you only live once!" My dad and I have had lots of talks this year about the stroke he had a few years ago and me getting diagnosed with Malignant Melanoma in January. When you are faced with your own potential mortality, it can't help but change you. I think when you go through that type of experience, you either become angry or you are grateful for each day. My dad and I fall into the latter category. Two days from now will be my 22nd wedding anniversary. The morning of my wedding day, December 9, 1995, I spent the night at my parents house. I couldn't sleep, so I went downstairs. My dad joined me and he and I chatted for a while before everyone else got up. He told me recently that he was thinking of that morning and how much it meant to him. Guess what dad, it meant a lot to me too!


My dad will be 83 in March. I know that I won't have him or my mom forever. The talk is at 2 p.m. today and I so wish I could be there. A few weeks ago, he did the next best thing, he read it to me over the phone. Since his stroke, he talks slower, but that's fine. I have to say, his talk was really interesting! He stopped every so often and said "you're probably bored." I told him I wasn't . When he got done, I told him that I was proud of him. It took a lot for him to go out of his "comfort zone," and I recognize that.   Last night, I wished him good luck. I know that my dad will do great and I can't wait to hear all about it when I talk to him tonight!! I love you dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...