Skip to main content

What I Have Learned Since Being Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes

I knew it was just a matter of time before I would be diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Since the passing of my mom almost a year ago, I had turned to my favorite thing to do when dealing with stress - EAT. There are those of us who don't eat when we are stressed and those that love to eat when we are stressed. You don't even have to be hungry to eat. You just want to eat and it's usually not a craving for a cucumber, you crave something sweet, like things with lots of sugar. You would think by now, at age 55, I would have figured out a better way!!! Anyways, I went and saw my primary care doctor back in January of this year. After taking a look at my lab "numbers" she said, "your triglyceride number is still high and it's been high for five years, what are we waiting for? I'm putting you on Metformin." I love my doctor, she is also kind of like a mental health therapist. She is the one that diagnosed me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and put me on two medications which have made a HUGE difference in my life. I still have occasional anxiety attacks, but not nearly as much as I used to. My doctor never gets rude about my weight. She more gently "suggests" what I should do. We all make New Year's Resolutions, right? Mine was to avoid things with tons of sugar. I have watched my dad have numerous health issues from not controlling his Type 2 Diabetes. He had a massive stroke a handful of years ago, 100% caused by uncontrolled blood sugar. He has been hospitalized a few times because his blood sugar has been too high or too low. He has also had numerous problems with his eyes caused by the Diabetes. My brother and I both separately had a "heart-to-heart" talk with our father that we really wanted him to be around for a while and we encouraged him to eat healthier. I can now relate to what he goes through having Diabetes, so I bring it up about once or twice a week when I talk to him. A few symptoms I noticed in the years prior to being diagnosed, was extreme exhaustion; always thirsty and if I don't eat some kind of protein for breakfast, in the late morning, I started sweating and feeling like I was going to pass out (it's happened a few times in the Kroger while I was shopping). I had always chalked that up to the multitude of medications I take for my Anxiety and Congestive Heart Failure. I discovered after being on a vacation last week and getting lots of rest and drinking TONS of water, I came back refreshed with a lot more energy! I ate really healthy on our vacation (lots of fruit and veggies), did multiple laps in the pool, walked more than I have been, had a boiled egg for breakfast everyday and NO desserts. Diabetes is a very serious disease. I have a vision that has stuck with me for over 20 years. I went to a viewing of my great-uncle on my dad's side of the family. He had lost both of his legs to Diabetes. Whenever I even get a thought of wanting ice cream, cake or anything with tons of sugar, I just think of that. Maybe that's morbid, but I certainly don't want to loose any of my limbs. I have lots more I want to do with my life. I survived Malignant Melanoma Skin Cancer and live everyday with positivity. Coming face-to-face with my own mortality waiting those two weeks to see if my cancer had spread in March of 2017 was just about one of the most stressful things I have ever encountered in my entire life, because it was totally out of my control. I pride myself on always being in control.  Watching what I eat is in my control. My advice to others if that if you feel run-down, exhausted and always thirsty, ask your doctor to do some simple lab work. It may just save your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...