Skip to main content

Thank You to the Kroger Clerk That Made the Extra Effort

There was a time when the thought of taking Dominic to the grocery store would immediately make my stomach tense up, because I knew there would be the inevitable "meltdown" at the checkout. Thank goodness those days are behind us! With tenth grade starting this Monday, I decided to take Dominic with me today to the local Kroger. I called it a "field trip."  I let him carry my "list" and push the cart. We were in there quite a while loading up the cart with great deals!


The Kroger was surprisingly empty around the time we went and there was a lane open with no one ahead of us when it was time to check out. I recognized the clerk at the register. I love going to her lane because she is always happy and likes to chat (just like I do)! Dominic helped me put all the items on the conveyor belt and then we both walked towards the clerk to get ready to pay. I made the comment that we were loading up for school (lots of granola bars and Cheez-Its). She looked right at Dominic and said, "so, what grade are you going into?" When he didn't immediately answer, I turned to Dominic and said, "she asked you a question, can you answer her?" Dominic started getting kind of flustered and said, "no, it's Saturday morning." That has become his thing to say when he doesn't want to and/or doesn't know how to answer a question. It's a line from an old episode of Barney. "Scripting" is Dominic's fall back mechanism when he isn't sure of how to respond. The clerk then asked Dominic another question and again he said, "no, it's Saturday morning." I then said, "I'm sorry, he has Autism." She looked right at me, smiled and said something along the lines of, "yes, I know, I wanted to ask him those questions." This awesome gal was making the extra effort to have an interaction with Dominic. She didn't have to talk to Dominic, she wanted to talk to him. Wow, just wow. For once in my life, I was speechless! That doesn't happen very often!! Thanks so much to the Kroger clerk, you didn't just make my day, you made my year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...