Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Feeling Like a Music "Dinosaur"



The first Sony Walkman went on sale on July 1, 1979.  Both my husband and I each own one.  The other day, Dominic found mine downstairs in the basement.  I was explaining to him how to use it and given that he has some sensory issues, I was thinking he wouldn't like it.  Much to my surprise, he really enjoyed listening to the music on the Walkman.  I was telling my husband that I wanted to go to the library and look for some children's books (for Dominic) that have tapes, so you can follow along in the book when you play the tape. Well, when I went to our local library to look for some, the librarian told me they didn't have any!  She directed me to some books that had compact discs.  Hmm, not exactly what I was looking for.  When I told Lauren I wasn't able to get Dominic any books with tapes, she didn't seem surprised, but I was!! Am I that much out of the "loop?" I asked my husband if a place like Best Buy sells music cassettes. He looked at me like I had three heads and said, "they haven't sold those for at least 10 years!" Yikes.  I recently showed Dominic a record and asked him if he knew what it was. He told me it was a compact disc!! Well, it does kind of look like a big one :)  At dinner about a week or so, I was asking Lauren and my husband what an Mp3 player was. They told me that the Apple i-Pod is a "type" of Mp3 player. I had no idea! I don't mind being a music "dinosaur" at all. It doesn't really bother me. Well, I would love to write more, but I gotta run, I think I'm going to strap on my Walkman, pop in a cassette from my favorite group, Journey, and listen to a few tunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...