Skip to main content

Feeling Like a Music "Dinosaur"



The first Sony Walkman went on sale on July 1, 1979.  Both my husband and I each own one.  The other day, Dominic found mine downstairs in the basement.  I was explaining to him how to use it and given that he has some sensory issues, I was thinking he wouldn't like it.  Much to my surprise, he really enjoyed listening to the music on the Walkman.  I was telling my husband that I wanted to go to the library and look for some children's books (for Dominic) that have tapes, so you can follow along in the book when you play the tape. Well, when I went to our local library to look for some, the librarian told me they didn't have any!  She directed me to some books that had compact discs.  Hmm, not exactly what I was looking for.  When I told Lauren I wasn't able to get Dominic any books with tapes, she didn't seem surprised, but I was!! Am I that much out of the "loop?" I asked my husband if a place like Best Buy sells music cassettes. He looked at me like I had three heads and said, "they haven't sold those for at least 10 years!" Yikes.  I recently showed Dominic a record and asked him if he knew what it was. He told me it was a compact disc!! Well, it does kind of look like a big one :)  At dinner about a week or so, I was asking Lauren and my husband what an Mp3 player was. They told me that the Apple i-Pod is a "type" of Mp3 player. I had no idea! I don't mind being a music "dinosaur" at all. It doesn't really bother me. Well, I would love to write more, but I gotta run, I think I'm going to strap on my Walkman, pop in a cassette from my favorite group, Journey, and listen to a few tunes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...