Skip to main content

A Chapter is Ending



In 25 days, Lauren will graduate from high school.  We ordered graduation announcements and they will be going out this week.  Last weekend, we got an awesome deal on a beautiful dress for the prom. Monday morning, we found two dresses and shoes that she needs for four different graduation events. We recently booked a plane ticket for my stepson and we are so excited he can fly in to watch his one and only sister graduate from high school.  After visiting five colleges and applying to four, she came to a college decision on Monday night and we paid the registration and housing fees!  Eleven days after Lauren graduates, she turns 18.  She will legally be an adult and be responsible for making her own decisions.  This whole senior year, she has driven herself back and forth to school everyday, so she has gotten a "taste" of what it's like to be independent of mom and dad.  Her car needed some repairs and spent the long Easter weekend at the shop. Yesterday, the hubby had to drive her to school and I picked her up. The first thing she said to me when we got home was, "when will my car be ready!?!?!"  We got it back last night :) Life is like chapters of a book.  The first chapter is when you are born. The next is when you are an infant, then a toddler and so on and so forth. Finishing up high school and graduating will mark the end of one chapter of Lauren's life, but the beginning of a brand new and exciting chapter.  Turning 18 in late May and heading off to college in August will be an adjustment for all of us and I'm sure some tears will be shed, but Lauren can be rest assured that she will always have the love and support of her family.


Comments

  1. Your family is amazing. I really admire how you come together. It has not all been rainbows and lollipops, but then life generally is not. Your ability to rise above and make lemondade out of lemons is a sign of real character and I admire your perserverance in moving forward with each challenge. Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the kind words Auntie :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...