Saturday, May 31, 2014

Playing with the "Kids"

When my stepson was younger, we would play endless games of Monopoly and Trouble. Now, when he comes to visit us, we play at least one game of the Who Wants to be a Millionaire board game.  It's become a family "tradition." Lauren and I like to play card games, a favorite is War.  Last weekend, summer arrived here in the Midwest, so we took out our sprinkler and hooked it up.


Since it was so toasty, I decided to join the "kids" in the sprinkler! I have also been known to do the Slip 'N Slide, but I'll spare you those pictures!!


That water was COLD, but refreshing! When Lauren was born, for some reason, I thought I had to keep an immaculate house. One day, when she was a toddler, I had a "light bulb" moment and thought ahead to when she would be an adult. What would she remember? would she remember a mom who was always cleaning the house? or would she remember a mom that played with her?? When she graduated from high school almost two weeks ago, I wrote this on our driveway:




Yes, I still like to play with sidewalk chalk! Even now, when Lauren asks me to draw something, "she'll say, anything but a flower!" Well, a flower is about all I can draw!  I think one of the best "gifts" you can give your kids is to play with them, even if it's just for a little bit each day. My dad coached me in soccer when I was younger and I still have very fond memories of those times.  I love this picture of the hubby with the older "kids." I think Lauren is "schooling" the two of them in the finer points of basketball!



Dominic just went to his first practice of his special needs baseball yesterday.

 
The hubby played baseball when he was younger (I actually found his old glove in the garage this morning) and it was cool watching him by third base yesterday "coaching" Dominic.  My hubby just had someone ask him the other day if he was "retired." Well, he could be, he'll be 70 when Dominic graduates from high school! Since Lauren just turned 18 a mere 48 hours ago, my hope is that the memories of her childhood will be of a mom that loved to play with her "kids!"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...