Friday, July 18, 2014

Memory Lane

Earlier this week, Lauren and I were in our local World Market store and I was looking around the candy section, when I came across this sign that said "Nostalgia Treats."


According to dictionary.com, nostalgia means, "sentimental or wistful yearning for the happiness felt in a former place, time or situation." I took a glance around at the candy and told Lauren, "this is candy from my childhood!" I bought some candy "buttons" and Lauren and I each ate a strip.


When I graduated from high school in 1981, I lost touch with pretty much every single one of my childhood friends. I truly didn't think that I would ever see or talk to them ever again. Well, thanks to social media, I was able to put together a "mini-reunion" of sorts at my parents house last year when the hubby, the kids and I were in town.  A handful of my old friends showed up and it was an awesome afternoon, catching up!!




This past Tuesday, I accompanied Lauren to a clothing store called, Forever 21.  She was looking for some new "college" clothes. As I looked around, I knew within about one minute that I was a little too old for the styles in there. I told Lauren, "I wish this store was called, Forever 51!"  Imagine my surprise though, when hanging on a rack were bodysuits!  I so remember wearing those. Lauren said, "oh, that's a onesie!"  I explained to her the advantages of a bodysuit aka "onesie," like not having to worry about your shirt ever getting untucked, but she didn't end up getting one. Since the hubby and I didn't meet until I was 27, whenever I start talking about the past (before he came into it),  he'll say, "are you taking a little trip down memory lane?" I think it's perfectly fine from time-to-time to remember back to when things were simpler and sometimes much easier. Who out there remembers those candy cigarettes? I used to think I was so cool pretending to smoke!  I have been having a craving lately for Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets (I used to eat those a lot as a "treat" after church). I e-mailed the company and asked them if they carry them in the stores where I live. They wrote me back this afternoon and said that they didn't!  Oh well, the next time I'm back in Maryland, I think I'm going to stock up, so anytime I want to take a little trip down memory lane, I'll be all set!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...