Tuesday, February 17, 2015

If You Build It, They Will Come

This time last year, Dominic was in the midst of finishing up his two years of special needs religious education classes and was preparing to make his First Holy Communion. I was shopping for church shoes and a shirt and tie. Since we have no family here, any celebration afterwards would be small, so I knew that wouldn't require too much planning. When the big day arrived, it was a moment captured in time, that I will never forget.




Shortly after Dominic made his First Holy Communion, I became co-chairperson of a group called, Our Lady of Grace Special Families Ministry.  The ministry has a bowling group that is in its ninth year. I knew in my heart, though, that the ministry could be doing so much more. I really, really wanted a Mass for special needs children and adults. I had become, what you would call, a "dog with a bone." I wasn't about to give the idea up!!! Well, about three weeks ago, my "faith" had begun to waver a bit and I was beginning to think that the Mass might not happen, ever. Imagine my shock, when I looked at my e-mails the next morning and found a forwarded e-mail talking about a group called, All Faith Ministry for disABILITIES. Their mission is to help serve people of all faiths with birth or life incurred disabilities and their families. I knew that this was a group I had to be involved in. Well, to make a long story short, I have been given an incredible opportunity to help with the "building" of this much needed ministry. Oh, and guess what? A Mass for special needs children and adults is scheduled for April 12!!!  The other co-chairperson of the Our Lady of Grace Special Families Ministry sent an e-mail out to the bowling group letting them know about the "special" Mass yesterday at 10:48 a.m. At 11:03 a.m., I received our first response back!! Glad I didn't give up the "faith." It is being "built" and I know they will be coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...