Sunday, February 8, 2015

Where I Want to Be

When Lauren left for college last August, neither of us knew how our relationship would change. She and I are very close, but respect each other's "space."  While there have been a few "tweaks" to our relationship, we are still just as close. Last Friday, I drove the ninety miles to visit her and we spent the day together - just the two of us.  With her busy schedule and mine, it took a few weeks of planning. We had so much catching up to do that I don't think either of us stopped talking the ENTIRE time. I recently discovered that there is a mall just 15 minutes away from her campus. I have been to some big malls in my time, but this one had a full size carousel in it! When we lived in Maryland, there was a park with a carousel that Lauren and I would ride frequently. I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride, but she declined my offer :) Throughout the day, I kept calling the hubby saying, "we are still shopping!" More than one time, Lauren said, "I'm sure you would rather be doing something else." I told her it was fine. I kept thinking to myself, there was nowhere in the world that I would rather have been last Friday than with Lauren. After a quick trip to the grocery store to get her a few more items, I dropped her off at her dorm about 8 p.m. I called the hubby one last time and said, "I'm on the way home!" In a little over two months, Lauren will be done with her first year of college. She loves to travel (she took her first plane ride with me when she wasn't even two years old) and talks about wanting to study abroad. Believe me, I "treasured" last Friday like a "rare gem." I 'm glad that Lauren and I took a step back from our hectic lives as a college freshman and stay-at-home mom respectively, and made the "time" for each other.  I love you very much, my sweet and only daughter and am so proud of the woman that you have become.



1 comment:

  1. Cherish each memory and put it away for when she is not geographically as close as she is now. Those memories will sustain you. You are lucky to have such a wonderful relationship with your daughter. Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...