Skip to main content

Believe

As a new disability ministry in the area, we have a lot to prove. We have to show that what we do is helping others AND is needed.  As program director, I am constantly looking for different programs for our “special” individuals and families. Since April, we have had three special needs Masses, two worship services, a picnic and just recently, a music event at the Michigan State University Community Music School.


Our average attendance (not including the picnic) has been holding steady at about 30. The picnic surpassed all expectations and we had about 100 people! One of the gals that brought some wonderful individuals from a group home to the picnic, told me to my face, “there isn’t much out there for older disabled adults to participate in.”  Hmm, I found that quite sad. My son is just 11, but in seven years he will be an adult. The thought of him having very little programs and activities available to him when he reaches 18 is not a thought I like!  That’s why I’m glad the ministry is planning more and more activities all the time. We are not replacing programs that are available to the special needs community, but rather putting a program in place if there isn’t one currently there. Whether through the Masses, worship services or the various programs, it brings you together with others. When I see and hear all the talking and interactions at our activities, it is the most wonderful sound in the world! The smiles on people’s faces melts my heart. That feeling of belonging and not being judged is awesome. A few months ago, when I needed a singer for one of the worship services, I asked a gentleman from my church who also happens to be a Knights of Columbus member. He agreed to be a singer and has also brought a fellow Knights of Columbus member along a few times!! These men are generous with their time and with their “gifts” of music. They also have gotten a firsthand look at the impact our ministry is making. They believe in us and in what we are doing. Earlier this week, a Knight who has visited our disability ministry office a handful of times and has had meetings with us, gave us the good news that he had a donation for us!! Our first one! Wow, how awesome! Evidently, the wife of a Knights of Columbus member who had passed away recently, donated a sum of money to be used at their “discretion.” Well, this group of wonderful men decided they would donate it to our ministry!! Yes, they believe in our mission and what we are trying to do. What a great feeling that is!!!! Oh and guess what? The gal who told me at the picnic that there weren’t many programs and activities available for the older special needs adults is bringing eight residents from the group home to our bowling event in a few weeks! Yep, if I do say so myself, we are filling the need.

Comments

  1. You are to be commended for all your hard work in this ministry. You are an amazing woman of whom everyone I know is so very proud. I pray always that your Angels will guard you and guide you. Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the awesome comment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...