Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Continuing on the "Path" to Independence

Something happened last Friday night that I thought would never happen, at least not for another couple of years. Do you want to know what that was?!?!? Well, let me tell you!! We attended a party for a neighbor's daughter who just graduated from high school and we left Dominic by HIMSELF in our house for about 30 minutes!!! We had explained to him thoroughly where we were going and when we would be back. We also asked him if he was okay with it and he said yes. The party was literally across the street from where we live, but still. Both the hubby and I wanted to go to the party and we both knew if we brought Dominic, the minute he saw a bug, he would go running back to our house, dragging one of us back there with him. We timed it perfectly, because from 7-7:30 p.m. Dominic watches his absolute favorite show, "Wheel of Fortune." Nothing short of a tornado taking the roof off of our house would disturb him while he is transfixed to the television for that half hour! Since Dominic was a toddler, I have told him, "don't open the door to strangers."  I knew he understood, but up until recently, he couldn't tell me that he understood. When he and I are alone in the house and I need to take a shower, I hoped and prayed that he wouldn't let a stranger in. A few weeks ago, as I was stepping out of the shower, I heard the doorbell ring. I don't know how long the person had been there, but Dominic did not answer the door! The hubby was coming back from somewhere at that exact moment and he ended up answering the door. I was SO proud of Dominic, he listened to me! Lately, when I have been reminding him of things, he will ignore me. But, that's not Autism, that's called being a teenage boy! LOL. For a few minutes at the party, I actually didn't worry about him. In the very back of my mind, I knew there was a small possibility he could have a seizure, but he has gone about 3 1/2 months without one. I think we have finally gotten the right dosage of the anti-seizure medications!! I know that I sometimes (okay, more than sometimes) "baby" Dominic.


It really doesn't do him any favors, if anything, it prohibits his independence. It's really, really hard for me to not want to do things for him. I think it's in my nature, I am the oldest of three and I've always looked out for someone, starting with my little brother. When the hubby and I came back from the party, I was going a little overboard with the positive praise. Dominic didn't think it was any big deal. When Lauren came home briefly this past Sunday, I told her about him being by himself. She also thought it was pretty cool and was praising him.  Dominic just finished eighth grade and is moving onto the local high school. Wow, that came fast!! He matured in a lot of ways while in middle school. He grew several inches, he started using deodorant (though the hubby didn't believe me until he took a whiff of Dominic's armpit), I trained him to stay away from the stove (that took a while) and he grew a moustache, just to name a few.


We are working on some other life skills this summer before he starts ninth grade. I know that I will face a lot of resistance because I have waited so long to teach him.  Better late than never! Wish me luck! I'll need it.....
.

1 comment:

  1. The first time we change a pattern is scary. You and hubby should be proud that you gave Dominic such a wonderful way to grow. Tell him Auntie is proud of him and I am also proud of you both. Being a parent is difficult enough, but you handle everything so well. Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...