Skip to main content

What It's Like Living with Three Heart Conditions

Back in November of 2011, when I went in to the hospital for a stress test because I was noticing shortness of breath and an irregular heartbeat, I ended up getting a cardiac catheterization. It was determined that I have Non-Ischemic Cardiomyopathy; Left Bundle Branch Block and Congestive Heart Failure. Whenever I tell someone I have those heart "issues," they are usually surprised. I think they pictured someone in their 80's or 90's, bedridden or in a wheelchair and hooked up to oxygen. That's what I originally thought too!! Non-Ischemic Cardiomyopathy according to Healthline is a "disease of the heart not associated with coronary artery disease; it manifests in either mechanical or electrical dysfunction of the heart."  According to WebMD, "normally, the electrical impulse provided by the bundle branch travels down both the right and left bundle branches at the same speed and the ventricle contract at the same time; if there is a block in one of the branches, it's called a bundle branch block; a bundle branch block causes one ventricle to contract just after the other ventricle, reducing the overall efficiency of contraction." Congestive Heart Failure in it's simplest terms "is a chronic condition in which your heart muscle weakens and can't pump enough blood through your body." Sounds complex and a bit overwhelming, doesn't it? It's now been 6 1/2 years since I was given those diagnoses and been on a "low-salt" diet. On the rare occasion I eat something with an "abnormal" amount of salt, like New England Clam Chowder or the skin off the Meijer fried chicken, then I will retain the extra salt for a day or two. My ankles in particular retain the extra fluid and will swell up. I know it will be hard to walk the next morning. The swelling doesn't hurt, it's more like it's a "tight" feeling. I currently take four medications daily: Furosemide, Pravastatin, Metoprolol Succinate and Potassium Chloride. I have never been a "pill" person, but I also know I must take them because it helps me maintain a normal lifestyle. Have you ever heard of an "ejection fraction?" WebMD says, "Ejection fraction is the amount of blood -- given as a percentage -- pumped out of a ventricle during each heartbeat. The ejection fraction evaluates how well the heart is pumping. Normal ejection fractions range from 55% to 65%." Taking my "cocktail" of medications keeps my ejection fraction within the normal range. The Congestive Heart Failure and the Left Bundle Branch Block, I inherited from my mom. The cardiologist isn't sure how I acquired the Non-Ischemic Cardiomyopathy, he told me once there are over 100 different ways it could have been caused. Having three heart conditions doesn't necessary mean I will end up bedridden with an oxygen tube in my nose.  For me, at this time in my life, I'm still able to do pretty much everything I was able to do before I was diagnosed. As long as I continue to take my medications, go to my appointments with my cardiologist and get regular echocardiograms, I plan on being here for a long time!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...