Friday, August 5, 2011

Ah, Telemarketers!

Yesterday, I got kind of an odd phone call.  I picked up the phone and a voice asked to speak with me.  She said, "I'm calling to follow up on an inquiry you made about continuing your education."  I was thinking to myself if I did ask for info, it must have been some time ago.  This woman kept persisting for more and more information and then said, "let me put you on hold and you can talk to one of our representatives."  I said, "look, even if I did go back to school for an MBA, it wouldn't be for a while."  I finally had to hang up on the chick.  They really don't take no for an answer.  I remember my husband being very concerned about his mom living at her assisted living facility and telemarketers calling and trying to get info out of her, like a social security number.  Having the internet full of your information for any random person to look at is kind of scary.  My 7 year old is on there because he won a "Diaper Derby" event in Cleveland when he was a baby!!  It's good to be hesitant about giving out info.  I'll never forget my mom telling me the story of how a photography studio  was always bugging her about getting our family to come in for a session until one day they asked my mom how many kids she had and she said something like, "12" even though there was only 3 of us.  I don't think they ever called again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...