Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mother/Daughter Relationships

My daughter who is 15 got her learner's permit this summer.  She and I have attempted more than once to go and practice.  She has to get a certain number of hours under her belt before she goes on to "Segment 2" and then to get her license.  We have practiced in parking lots which really don't give you that "real life" experience.  I learned how to drive back in the Washington, DC area which has the infamous Beltway.  If you can drive on that you can drive anywhere!  I have found that I am way too nervous to be in the car with her right now.  She went with her dad over the weekend and came back and said, "Dad is much better to go practicing with."  I was like I definitely agree with you there :)  My daughter and I are very close, but she always remembers that I am the parent.  I know that I need to ease some of my anxiety about her driving so she doesn't feel so stressed with me when I'm with her.  I was just telling my daughter pretty recently that she is not too old to have a "time out" when she does an eye roll or a similar type of teen behavior.  I did an eye roll at her the other day and she called me on it.  I told her I was disrespectful and apologized.  I believe that to have a good relationship keep those lines of communication open.  She knows that having Facebook is a privilege.  I think the best we can do for all kids no matter what age is to give them independence, but just enough that you can reel them back in when you need to.   Always remember you are the one in charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...