Saturday, September 7, 2013

Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny

A few weeks before Easter of this year, I asked Lauren if she wanted a basket from the Easter Bunny.  She said that she did.  Even though I know she doesn't believe in him anymore, I think she likes getting the candy :)  When Dominic has lost teeth at school, his teacher sends them home in a baggie. I have never started the Tooth Fairy thing with him and probably won't at this point, given that he has already lost a bunch of teeth.  I read an article in the newspaper recently that said the average amount a kid gets for a lost tooth is $3.70!  If you can believe it, there is even a Tooth Fairy Calculator "app" that will give you an idea how much to give your child based on your age, income bracket and education level.  I find that fascinating.  Back in my day of losing teeth, I seem to recall getting a quarter or two.  My hubby told me that back when he was in second grade, one of the teachers told the entire class that there was no such thing as Santa Claus.  He can't remember if he cried or not when he heard that, but he did say that some of the kids were crying. To me, I think that was kind of mean of the teacher to do that!!!  I don't know that there is any set age for a kid to find out, I think it's better if you tell them the truth if they directly ask you.  I can remember when Lauren asked me if Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny were real. I never lie and the fact that I lied to her for a number of years about their existence was kind of hard for Lauren to wrap her mind around.  Dominic having special needs, I think with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, I'm going to keep that going for the foreseeable future.  How about you? Have your kids come to you yet and asked if Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny are real? How old were you when you found out they weren't? or do you "still believe so you will receive???"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...