Friday, September 13, 2013

Too Much Information

Earlier this week I was at my favorite grocery store going up and down the aisles, looking for good deals, and getting the items on my list. The time I usually go shopping is in the morning, during the week, so most of the other customers are stay-at-home moms like myself or senior citizens.  Well, this particular time, I noticed an elderly man in a motorized wheelchair trying to reach for something on a high shelf.  I went over and said, "sir, do you want me to get something off the shelf for you?"  He said, "no, I just had bariatric surgery and I have to do it myself!" Hmm, I don't know if I wanted to know quite that much about him, considering I had never met him before. I remember hesitating about 10 seconds and then I think I said, "cool!"  Looking back, maybe that wasn't the best response.   I almost was going to ask him how much weight he lost, but that didn't seem to be appropriate.  Maybe I should have said, "good for you or good luck!" I really wish I could think quicker on my feet sometimes!!  One thing about my personality is that I sometimes have a tendency to share a little too much about myself. I can usually size someone up pretty quickly when I first meet them and determine if I can share really personal things with them.  My mother-in-law was really, really private, but I could always be myself with her. I think she definitely thought I shared way too information with people, but we still managed to have a pretty good relationship!!  How do you handle it if a friend divulges way too much information about themselves, their relationships, marriage or their kids?  Don't you wish life came with an instruction manual sometimes???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...