Skip to main content

A Mom is ALWAYS Prepared!

In the Fall of 2014, I started co-teaching a religious education class. During one of the classes recently, as I was reading a portion of the lesson, I heard one of the little boys in the class say, "my finger is bleeding!" About half the class went over to "investigate," and everything came to a grinding halt. His finger definitely needed a Band-Aid, so I told him. "hold on, let me check my purse!" He was like, "purse?" Sure enough, within seconds, I had located one and quickly put it on his finger. I think he was glad I was prepared! Since it took us until Dominic was over eight years old to get him potty trained, I always had a diaper or a Pull-Up on me at all times. Even though Lauren is now an adult, she has been known on more than one occasion to say, "mom, do you have anything to eat in your purse?" I don't cart around a three course meal in there, but I do make sure I have at least one granola bar! Sometimes I still wish I carried a diaper bag, because you could put all kinds of stuff in there.  While smaller purses are cute, I often wondered, where would a mom with kids out of diapers put things her kids might need?!?! You can only fit so much in a pocket! I have tried carrying a smaller purse, but it just didn't feel like, "me." I guess I'm just one of those gals that likes a big purse! My family and I traveled back to Maryland for the holidays and we stayed the entire time at my parents house. One of the days we were there, I was searching for Dominic's medication and literally turned their house upside down trying to find it! My dad was watching me and I think he was wondering what the heck I was doing. I had already checked my purse once, but decided maybe I should look again. Guess what? The medication was in there! Good grief. Wouldn't it be great if our children came with an "owner's" manual? That's unrealistic because each child is different! According to Dictionary.com, prepared means, "properly expectant, organized or equipped; ready." As moms, aren't we always ready for anything? If your child falls down and scrapes their knee, don't we always have a hug or a kiss available to wipe away the tears? I have been known to give another mom a Kleenex when her child has a runny nose. When we are preparing to travel in the car for hours, I pack up a "snack bag" full of pretzels, etc. Sometimes, we don't even make it out of our neighborhood, before Dominic or Lauren will say, "I'm hungry!" From a very young age, I guess I've had the "mom" instinct. I loved my "dollies," when I was little and I tried to always "mother" them.  My own mom was a stay-at-home mom for a long time and I knew that I always wanted to be one too. Yesterday, Dominic and I made some homemade pumpkin muffins because two of Lauren's friends were coming over to our house to visit and I know they like them. Later in the evening, Lauren was seeing two of her former "cheer" buddies. I put together a plate of muffins and told Lauren to give them to her friends. I wrote a little note on top and said, "Love, Mom "B." I am always "prepared" to share my love of baking!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...