Friday, January 16, 2015

Why I Write About Dominic's Autism

When I first got the diagnosis of Dominic having Autism back in 2007, I spent two weeks feeling sorry for myself. I think it's extremely important to go through that process, so you can move forward. During that two week time frame, one thing I really wish I could have read was an article or blog posts about having a child with special needs, what it was really like and how it affects the entire family. I felt so alone during those two weeks, like I was the only one out there with a child with Autism. I didn't want to read a blog that was negative, but rather one that was inspirational and positive. Before I started writing my blog in July of 2011, I had many doubts. Would anybody read it? Would I get a bunch of negative comments saying things like, "are you some kind of expert?" or "who do you think you are writing a blog!?!" Since I have a business degree and not a journalism degree, I wondered if I would have enough "material" to make a blog interesting to read. Well, I needn't have worried about that. Good grief, I'm involved in so many things at any one time and have my hands in so many "pots," that I could write posts three times a day! Anyways, as this blog has evolved over the past three and half years, one topic I write about often is Dominic's Autism.


I always try to stay positive and I hope that I inspire other parents of children with special needs to just keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep on moving forward. If you don't know anyone with special needs or Autism, then I hope you have enjoyed getting to know my family better and what it's like for us. I hope when I put a post on where I talk about Dominic, that another parent out there in the same situation can say to themselves, "okay, I'm not alone after all!" or maybe they find what I write amusing and it puts a smile on their face. With 1 in 68 children being diagnosed with Autism in 2014, chances are you know someone who has a child with Autism or your own child has Autism. Earlier this week, I read this comment from a parent who has a child with special needs in regards to my recent post about Dominic and I having a conversation:

We are getting closer to this every day, I can't wait!

Cool. Now, a comment like THAT is exactly why I write about Dominic's Autism!!!

2 comments:

  1. And comments like that are felt, if not expressed by many who don't have to deal with what you deal with. You have helped, I am sure, many, who deal daily with "Special Needs" child, because we all have special needs at some time in our lives and the way you contribute to these special needs is so real. Keep up the good work, and keep blogging. Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet of you to say Auntie, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...