Skip to main content

Winning Fair and Square

A few weeks ago, the hubby, Dominic and I went bowling.


We played two games. Dominic won the first game and the hubby won the second game. We didn't "let" Dominic win the first game, he beat us, "fair and square." When you play a board game with your child, do you "bend" the rules to make it easier for them to beat you? This past weekend, Lauren was home visiting from college. I asked her if she wanted to play a game. I wanted to play Yatzhee or Trouble, but she said she wanted to play a game that was based on skill, not luck. I guess I'm the reverse. We ended up playing Scrabble. That game is a little bit of luck and a little bit of skill, so it was a good compromise. I like the old adage, "it's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game."  I think sometimes as parents, it's easy to get so caught up in winning, that we don't teach our kids how to lose. I will never, ever forget a soccer game where I was the goalie. I was probably like 15 or 16 years old. The team we were playing against was clearly much better than we were. I remember a parent on the opposing team yelling something on the sidelines like, "come on, we can score a goal on her, she isn't very good!" Wow. This happened over 40 years ago and I STILL remember it.  It's great to win, but isn't it also okay if we lose? I think it is so important to teach good sportsmanship. Okay, hold on, because I'm hopping onto my "soapbox."  Not every child wins a ribbon or trophy, but shouldn't they get something for trying??  Do you see the big smile on Dominic's face? The yellow certificate is a "participation" certificate.


I think ALL kids should get one of those types of certificates, whether they have special needs or not. Whether your child does music, art, drama or whatever else they choose, my opinion is that they should at a minimum, get some form of recognition for all of their hard work. Whether that means their name is called out over a loud speaker at a sporting event, receiving a "participation" certificate or just having their name listed in a music, art or drama program. Okay, I'm hopping back off my "soapbox" now!! What about you? what are your thoughts? Should your children get "participation" certificates or ribbons? Have you ever "let" your child win when you've played a game with them, just to make them happy? or, do you always play "fair and square?"

Comments

  1. As an autistic flutist with some athletic experience, I support participation awards, especially if it's something you try out/audition for. It also takes a lot of strength just to get out there and play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...