Saturday, May 30, 2015

An Oldie, But a Goodie

I have written more than once about how I like to go through the old recipes and newspaper/magazine clippings that belonged to my mother-in-law. I have definitely found some good ones, that's for sure! I recently searched through the big pile of newspaper clippings and pulled one out from 1955. All four recipes had coconut involved, but only one had the quantity that they made. There were recipes for coconut macaroons, cornflake macaroons, baked tropical confections and marguerites. The only recipe I had all the ingredients for were the coconut macaroons, but I had no idea how many cookies it would make. One thing I quickly discovered about macaroons, they are super duper STICKY.  Also, make sure you use plenty of non-stick spray on the cookie sheet! I used an older cookie sheet and not enough non-stick spray, so they stuck a bit when I was removing them to a wire rack to cool. They still tasted great, though. Aren't the little scraps always the best?!?!?!?!?



Ingredients

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded coconut, sweetened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Set aside. In large bowl, put the condensed milk, salt, coconut and vanilla extract. Mix well with large spoon. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheet. You should be able to get a dozen - these cookies don't spread very much.  Bake for 15 minutes or until the macaroons begin to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and let them sit on the cookie sheet about 5 minutes. Gently remove to wire rack to continue cooling. Keep in covered container at room temperature.


I loved "finding" this recipe - it was an oldie, but a goodie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...