Wednesday, May 6, 2015

You Are Beautiful, Mom

My mom and I have always been close. Besides being mother and daughter, we are also friends. When my family and I moved to Michigan in December of 2001, I knew that my mom would have a difficult time adjusting to the fact that I was going to be living 600 miles away. While we absolutely love the Midwest and everything it has to offer, when a friend or family member is in need back on the East Coast, it really makes me wish I could be in two places at the same time. My mother was diagnosed with heart problems at the beginning of August of 2014, which unfortunately are so far advanced, there is nothing the doctors can do to help her.  This past December,  my mom was moved to a skilled nursing facility. It has been an adjustment for all of us, but I think she has finally reached a point where she considers where she lives "home." Her heart is so weak that she is confined 24 hours to her bed. I have always considered my mom to be an attractive woman and that her smile is one of her best features.


When the kids, the hubby and I visited around Christmas, I knew I wanted Lauren to take a picture of my mom and I. She was trying to tell me that she didn't think she looked her best, but I told her, "You are beautiful, mom!" Lauren captured the essence of my mother, don't you think?
 
 
I don't talk about it much, but it's been very, very, hard to be apart from both of my parents at a time like this, but particularly my mom, because when I hang up the phone after my evening conversations with her, I truly don't know if that will be the last time I talk to her. The way I have reconciled it in my head, is that I will enjoy every single moment that I have the chance to talk to her. As much as I like to be in control of everything in my life, this is definitely a situation where I am not in control!! Anyways, since I can't be with my mom on Mother's Day, when I saw this card, I knew I had to send it to her!
 
 
 
It isn't the same as being there, but hopefully it comes close!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...