Monday, February 20, 2012

Anyone Out There Still Watching Soap Operas???

In the past six months, two popular soap operas went off the air permanently, All My Children and One Life to Live. Currently, there are only four daytime soap operas remaining on the air. The highest number on at one time was 19 (that was in 1969-1970).  I originally started watching daytime soap operas back in the late 1970's.  I started out watching General Hospital and then moved over to CBS and started watching the "soaps" over on that station.  I have been watching Young and the Restless off and on since the mid-1980's.  As more moms went back to work, the viewership of daytime soap operas went down. One thing about "soaps" is that you can miss several months and within about a day or two you're all caught up!  I can remember watching a show called, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.  I am really dating myself here, it was on in the mid-1970's.  It only lasted two seasons, but it was considered to be a nighttime "soap."  Who can forget the nighttime soap opera Dallas??  The "who shot J.R.?" storyline was big, big news back in the day!!  I loved Dynasty too - watching Joan Collins and Linda Evans go at it all the time was definitely some good television. Both Dallas and Dynasty were on when I was graduating from high school and started working.   Knots Landing was another good one, though I started watching that one and then it went off the air. I have found the different "soaps" I have watched in the past and the one I follow now as a form of  an "escape" from the real world.  Isn't that what television kind of is?  You can retreat to a different place for a little bit and relax.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed my favorite "soap" doesn't go off the air anytime soon!!  What soap operas past or present were/are your favorite??

2 comments:

  1. i used to rush home from school to catch general hospital every day in high school and in college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the four soaps that are still on - what's funny is one of the characters that used to be on General Hospital is now on Young and the Restless! Thanks so much for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...