Skip to main content

Baking + Breads = Happiness


I love to bake and it truly is a passion of mine.  I guess you can say it's in the "genes." My great-grandfather on my mom's side was a baker in Missouri.  I like to think he would have loved that I find so much happiness in my baking! My favorite things to bake are any kind of quick breads, such as muffins, biscuits and scones. I actually found a copy of my great-grandfather's biscuit recipe from 1959 that I will be putting on my blog in the near future! One baking item I have never used in my entire life are cinnamon chips.  I didn't even know that the grocery stores sold them. One of the first recipes that I sent to MomsEveryday.com was my cinnamon scone recipe.  I tinkered with the recipe a little (reducing the cinnamon and eliminating the nutmeg). I added 3/4 cup of cinnamon chips and the end result turned out pretty well. Scones sound like something really fancy and make you think they are hard to make.  It is quite the opposite.


Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups white flour
2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter (slightly softened)
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup cinnamon chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheet with cooking spray.  Mix all ingredients together except the butter, milk and cinnamon chips in a large bowl.  With two knives, "cut" in the butter until mixed together or use a spoon to mix in the butter until it's kind of crumbly. Next, add the milk.  The batter will be kind of stiff. If it's really stiff, add milk a teaspoon at a time until it's easier to work with. Once it's well mixed, take it out of the bowl and place on a slightly floured surface (I usually put a little flour on my hands too). Knead it about 25 times and flatten out with a rolling pin or your hands (I have used both) until it's about the size of a large dinner plate and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick (depending on how thick you like your scones) - I have a personal preference of liking them more on the thicker side. Once you've got the circle the desired size, cut them into eight equal triangles.  Place them on the the cookie sheet and bake for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Let them cool on a rack about 10 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...