Skip to main content

My Gray Hair

Why is it that gray/silver/white hair on a man makes them look distinguished, but on most women it ages them?? My first gray hair made it's appearance when I was 17 and they have steadily multiplied throughout the past 31 years.  I'm not even sure my hair could be considered to be gray anymore, it's current color is white as snow.  I went a really long time before I started coloring it myself.  I only started about eight years ago.  Since I wash my hair every day, the color starts fading quickly, so I have to do it every two weeks. When I first met my husband his hair was very dark brown.  Over the 21 years that I have known him, his hair color has changed.  It's now what you would call, "salt and pepper."  On him it looks great!!  I pay about $2.50 a box for my hair color and I do a reasonably good job of applying it myself.  I'm too frugal to go to the hair salon and let them do it.  I did ask the last time I got my hair cut how much it would cost for them to color my hair, it was over $50 and I go to a cheap place!!  If you think about the ladies in Hollywood that were at the Oscars a few days ago, how many had gray hair? Could any of us picture Angelina Jolie with gray hair? I know I can't! In Hollywood, everyone wants to look A LOT younger than they actually are. I'm not trying to look younger than I am by coloring my hair, I just don't want to look a lot older than I am, plus the hubby likes that I color my hair, even though he says that I do it too much!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...