Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Angel on My Shoulder

Throughout my lifetime, I have had more than one close call.  In January of 1982, I was on the subway heading towards what is now called, Reagan National Airport, to catch a plane to go out of town.  Further down the subway system and closer to the airport there was a bad subway accident that delayed me and made me miss my flight. I remember calling my parents and telling them that I missed my flight and wasn't sure what to do since the weather was really bad and I didn't think I could make it back home.  My dad or mom said, "didn't you hear?"  I was like, "hear what?"  They told me that a plane had crashed into the Potomac River!!  It turned out that the plane I should have been on had taxied onto the runway, but the pilot decided the weather was too dangerous (there was a bad snowstorm) and he had turned the plane around and decided not to take off. The plane right after the one I should have been on was the one that crashed!!  When my daughter was still in diapers, I fell off a second story deck.  Luckily, I only broke my arm. In June of 2010,  I had to have a pretty serious operation because the doctors thought I might have had cancer.  The latest close call was very recent.  This past Christmas Eve, I turned on our oven because I wanted to put a roast in for dinner.  Within about 15 seconds I heard sparks.  I looked through the window into our oven and saw flames!  I instantly turned off the oven and the fire went out.  I have left my oven on from time to time to cook something while we're not at home.  Believe me, I won't be doing that again!  I shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't been standing right there.  I am one of those people that believes that all of us have a "guardian angel" or "angels" that  kind of look over us and guide us through our lives.  I keep my "guardian angel" pretty busy, but I'm glad that mine has been taking care of me so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...