Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I Don't Have Time to be "Sick!"

After feeling not quite 100% for the past two or three weeks, I decided I better pay a little visit to my doctor.  The diagnosis - shingles!!! Excuse me, really? I almost told the doctor, "I don't have time to be sick!"  Luckily, there is a medication that will get it cleared up in about a week or two.  As parents, do we have the "time" in our schedules to not feel well?? There is still laundry to wash, meals to make, kids to get to activities, etc.  Having shingles is kind of like having a continual sunburn on your skin. The doctor wanted to prescribe a very strong painkiller in addition to the other medication. She said, "you probably won't take it anyways!"  She was right.  After having a major operation back when Lauren was a toddler, a few hours afterwards, I was already picking her up. Two weeks after my operation, I was matron of honor in my sister's wedding.  After having my left knee operated on in 2006, I was driving the car a day later. Two years ago after my latest operation, I couldn't drive for two weeks - those were the longest two weeks I've ever experienced!!!  I had to depend on others and I couldn't barely stand it!!!  I guess I need to work on my "control" issues still :) My hubby has told me before, "when you go down, the whole house goes down!"  It's kind of true.  In my household, I'm the "master" organizer of all of our appointments, activities, meals, and everything else our family does.  They are pretty good about taking care of themselves, but I think they like when I'm running at full "capacity." After the medication starts kicking in and I head on the road to recovery, I'm hoping the next time I have to deal with shingles again, it will be when we need a new roof!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...