Skip to main content

A Real "Comedian"


One thing that has slowly evolved over the past couple of years with Dominic has been watching his true personality come through.  He is a lot like me in that we think similar things are funny and we both tend to be kind of silly sometimes. For the past couple of months, Dominic at least a few mornings a week, will take all of his sheets off his bed and toss them in the middle of the bedroom floor. When he does it, I will ask him, "so, do you think that's funny to take the sheets off your bed??"  His response is always the same, "YES!" Over the weekend, my husband was watching a football game on the television. It was the Washington Redskins game which is rarely on here where we live and the hubby was pretty engrossed in watching it. Dominic kept positioning himself right smack in front on my husband and kept sticking his finger up his nose. I was in the kitchen kind of chuckling to myself.  Another thing Dominic likes to do is to build a tower of wood blocks and then knock them over on the kitchen table while my husband is sitting there just to get a rise out of him.  I try not to laugh, but it is kind of funny, he looks right at my husband while he's doing it! From time to time, Dominic will call me "grandma" just to bust my chops.  I always say the same thing back, "I'm old enough to be your grandma, but I'm mommy!"  The picture below is one I took during the summer.  The little stinker filled the bucket part of the way up with water and then proceeded to throw it at me.  Look at that smile - he knows EXACTLY what he is doing!!!




We like to tell Dominic that he's a real "comedian" when he goofs around with us.  I think it's actually kind of cool.  Trying to engage us and get our attention is a non-autistic behavior.  Maybe Dominic has a future in comedy, who knows???  Only time will tell :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...