Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Paying it Forward

Today, I was doing a little grocery shopping at one of the stores here in town.  I had a medium amount of items in my cart and was waiting for the gentleman ahead of me to finish checking out.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw an elderly woman with about three items in her cart come up behind me.  I told her to go ahead of me since she only had a few items.  She seemed a little flustered and was telling me her kitty was out in her car. I guess she was hoping to stop briefly in the store, get what she needed and get out quickly. While we were waiting in line, she looked down into my cart and noticed I had some reduced yellow and orange peppers.  She was asking me if there were more and where they were in the store.  I told her they had plenty and they were in the back of the store.  I decided that it was easier for me to get out of line and get another bag of peppers, so I let her have mine.  I said, "I have my tennis shoes on and could use the exercise!" I have let people go in front of me before at the store, but I don't know if I've ever taken something out of my cart and given it to somebody.  My parents are older and I would hope that at their store where they shop at, that somebody would do something like that for them.  Back before I had a cell phone, I got a flat tire and had to pull off the side of the road.  I tried to flag a police car down, but none were stopping. After a little while, a truck stopped behind my car and a couple of guys got out.  They said they could change my tire for me. I let them do it and offered to pay them. They refused to take my money and their response back to me was, "we wouldn't want our wives out here and we would hope somebody would help them if they needed it."  I never got their names, but I was so grateful to them!!  Dominic has the same bus driver for both the morning and afternoon.  He is so nice, always has a smile on his face and most importantly, is never late!!  It definitely takes a special person to drive a bus for special needs children.  Since the beginning of the school year, I have been baking him muffins, breads or cookies and giving them to him at random times.  He is SO appreciative!!  Teachers get gifts from students, but I think sometimes the bus drivers get overlooked.  I feel like it's a small token of my appreciation to him for transporting Dominic to and from school every day :)  When you see someone in a wheelchair, offer to open up the door.  If a mom is struggling with crying/screaming kids behind you at the library, let them go ahead of you.  I wish someone would have done that for me in those early years with Dominic!  When life gets busy and chaotic, take the time to slow down for just a minute or two and find ways to "pay it forward."  It will make you feel really good inside :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...