Skip to main content

Senior Citizen "Discounts"


The hubby went to a sports competition recently by himself that Lauren was participating in.  He was telling me that when he pulled out his wallet to pay the admission fee of $5.00, the cashier took a look at him and informed him there was a senior citizen "discount" available to anyone 60 and over. Since he met that  qualification, he was able to get in for free.  He also had someone ask him at the competition if he was another teammate's grandfather.  My husband likes to pride himself on the fact that he doesn't think he looks his age, so having both things happen within the span of a few hours might have bummed him out just a little :( When he was telling me all of this, it got me to thinking, what other kinds of senior citizen "discounts" are out there??? Has he already missed out on a bunch of savings??  Both my husband and I are considered to part of the "baby boomer" generation (born between 1946-1964). I remember thinking when I first met my husband, that he was my age.  This is a picture from when we first met.  Wow, look at the size of those glasses!!!


Fast forward to 2013.  I no longer wear my hair so short or get perms and my hubby's hair is now silver.



I like to tell my husband that he is like a fine wine, he has aged very well :)  Having children that are 29, 16 and 8 are what is going to keep us young.  I personally am looking forward to turning 50 this coming July, I can officially join the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) and start getting some senior citizen "discounts."  To celebrate my birthday, maybe we'll take the kids out to a restaurant that has an "early bird" dinner!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...