Skip to main content

Following the "Rules"

I am a big "rule" person, always have been.  I feel that rules are there for a reason.  Back when I would pick up Lauren at her elementary school, I would watch the same mom pull past everyone else (including me) and park about two feet from the stop sign that was right in front of the entrance to the school.  I would always just kind of scratch my head and wonder why she didn't think the rules applied to her. Everyone else waited along the curb in the line of cars, why shouldn't she?? For some reason, did she feel "entitled" to getting that parking spot? To me, I just thought it was rude!! While watching Lance Armstrong admit to taking certain drugs to help him be a better cyclist, it made me think about that mom at Lauren's school.  They both kind of felt that the rules didn't apply to them. How about when people park in a handicapped parking spot, just because it's closer to a building? and they are not disabled? I personally believe that learning to follow rules starts very young and begins at home.  If you choose to send your kids to school and not homeschool, then there are many rules that they follow at school, such as no yelling or running in the hallways.  There has to be rules in sports, what if there wasn't?  It would be total chaos!  A really good rule when you have kids is having a regular bedtime. What about "unspoken" rules? like removing your hat when you are in a restaurant? or giving up your seat to a mom with small children on a crowded bus or subway car? I know that I personally have more respect for people that follow the "rules." To me, rules and respect go hand-in-hand!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

It's a "Group" Effort

Since going to the local barbershop is still not allowed where we live, it fell upon us to figure out the best way to shave Dominic's beard and mustache. Typically, Dominic goes to our local barbershop to get his haircut and his barber (Vince) also takes about 30 seconds to shave the beard and mustache. This August, it will be five years that Dominic has been going to Vince. That in itself is a huge milestone as anyone with a child/adult with sensory sensitivities knows. Anyways, earlier in the week my hubby, Lauren and I had all noticed that Dominic's facial hair definitely needed some assistance. I mentioned to Lauren that I needed to find a "social story" about getting a shave. Before I had a chance to find one, she took it upon herself to find one and print it out, it had both an electric shaver and shaving cream/razor stories! That meant so much to me, because she didn't have to do that, she wanted to!    I showed the social story to Dominic and sai...