Sunday, February 17, 2013

If That's the Worst Thing that Happens

Last Tuesday started out like a relatively normal day, with the exception of having Lauren home from school recovering from a stomach bug.  I had several errands to run and told Lauren I would have my cell phone on in case she needed me for any reason.  My first errand was going to the library.  I needed to run to the restroom quickly while I was there because I had four other errands to run before going back home.  I entered the restroom and I'm pretty sure there was a little kid next to me in the stall.  Just as I got into my stall and locked the door, they ran out of the restroom and turned off the lights! The restroom was pitch black and even though I knew where the exit door was, I couldn't seem to find the handle or the light switch.  After about 30 seconds, I was able to find the door.  I get claustrophobic sometimes, so those 30 seconds felt like 30 hours.  I pulled myself together and checked out some books and left.  My next three errands were uneventful and then it was on to Kroger.  I had pulled out my phone to check messages and dropped it, not once, but twice.  Both times the battery flew out.  I tried to reinstall it, but it wouldn't go back in.  I got kind of stressed, because I had Lauren at home, recovering from her stomach problems and was worried Dominic might get what she had because he drank out of her cup of water on Monday.  I half expected a call from his teacher saying he was sick too!  I couldn't call Lauren because my phone wasn't working.  I was about a half hour late coming back home and when I got back home she told me everything was fine, but she was getting ready to call me since I was late.  I made her and I some lunch and ran another quick errand up to our church and then came back home because I had to take Lauren to a sports practice.  I took the freeway to practice and had a woman cut me off as I was trying to merge into traffic.  I got kind of ticked and Lauren said something like, "well, if that's the worst thing that happens to you today, you're doing okay!"  I told her being in the restroom in the dark was the worst thing until the lady cut me off.  After I dropped Lauren off, I had a small pocket of time to toss our dinner into the crockpot before Dominic got home on his bus.  I was still putting on my shoes when the bus pulled up.  I got Dominic off the bus and into the house.  In the process of getting him inside, I tripped over a pair of my shoes by the front door and fell down on the carpet in the living room!  I twisted my ankle, but not real bad.  Dominic said, "uh-oh, mommy fell!"   I told him I was fine because I didn't want to get him upset. I picked myself up, dusted myself off and went about my business. The rest of the evening was smooth sailing.  I think when you have a day where everything seems to be going wrong, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.  You think in your head, "well, bad things keep happening, it's going to be a bad day."  In the great scheme of life, the events of the day weren't all that bad.  As hard as it was for me on Tuesday, I kept trying to remain upbeat.  I'm happy to report Wednesday was much better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My New "Relationship" with the Sun

Long gone are the days that I would sit on the beaches of the Atlantic Ocean for HOURS at a time with just baby oil on my skin for prote...