Skip to main content

All Kinds of "Junk"

What exactly is "junk?" A common definition - old, broken and useless things.  I remember when we were cleaning out the in-laws house.  We had a dumpster and were throwing what we considered "junk" into it.  Since it was just my hubby, Lauren and I cleaning out a three-story house, with a basement and a two-car garage, we called a company that cleaned out houses of its contents.  A man and woman showed up. They weren't interested in the inside of my in-laws house (like I had hoped).  Instead, they jumped into the dumpster and started fishing around in there. They were pulling all kinds of things back out of the dumpster and wanting to pay us for it.  I don't think they thought any of the stuff in there was old, broken or useless :) Okay, how many of you out there have a "junk" drawer?? That's the drawer (usually in your kitchen) that seems to be a catch-all for items that don't have anywhere else to go. The drawer under where we keep our phone is our "junk" drawer.  I have been meaning to clean that drawer out for a while, so earlier this week, I took it in to the family room, dumped the items out onto the floor and started sorting through it.  I found 32 pens, 5 markers, 15 colored pencils, 32 pencils, 12 Crayola Twistables, and 11 crayons. Added all together that makes 107 items!!!!!!!! Good grief, that's ridiculous :) I think half of the pens don't work and a lot of the pencils have no erasers.  I also counted four handheld calculators - two from what looks like the dollar store, one that was my in-laws and one that I don't know where it came from.  I also found three packs of staples and parts of five decks of cards.  I found lots more items, but I'll spare you any more of the details.  How about "junk" jewelry?  A lot of that type of jewelry is really beautiful. What about "junk" mail? We get at least a few pieces of that kind of mail everyday.  Oh, I can't leave out "junk" food!  That's all the kinds of food that are bad for you, but taste good!! One of my favorite shows on cable is American Pickers.  If you've never heard of it or watched it, it's a show about two guys who sift through people's "junk."  They buy items, repair them and resell the items at their shops. I find that show fascinating.  I'm still astounded that people will put perfectly good things out on trash day in my neighborhood.  Even if you think the item isn't usable, there might be someone out there that can use it.  We donate items to the Volunteers of America.  Goodwill and the Salvation Army collect items too.  There is a company called 1-800-GOT-JUNK.  According to their website, since 1989 they have saved over 1.5 billion pounds of "junk" from landfills. Wow, that is a lot!!  I signed up Dominic's school with a program called www.terracycle.com. You can even print a mailing label, so there are minimal shipping costs (just the cost of a padded envelope or box). Right now, I send them used Capri Sun pouches.  The next time you think about throwing something out because you think it's "junk" take a few extra minutes to determine if it really can't be recycled or reused.  You just might be doing something good for the environment!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...