Skip to main content

Meatless Fridays

The hubby and I try all year long to not eat meat on Fridays.  Lately, it seemed like I was rotating the same things every three weeks or so for dinner - seafood soup, shrimp stir-fry, and baked fish.  Guess you could say I've been in a Friday night dinner "rut." When I have made chili in the past, I have used ground meat or ground turkey.  On Friday, I was at one of the local grocery stores and they had a great deal on bags of peppers (green, yellow, orange and red). As one who can't pass up a bargain, I scooped up a bagful thinking I would figure out how to use them later :)  Last Wednesday, I had a routine appointment with my cardiologist.  He was impressed with how well I was feeling and said basically, as long as I take my medications and continue the way I am, he doesn't want to see me for an entire year!!  What I have noticed is that if I have too much sodium in a day, even though I take a medication to reduce the sodium (Lasix), I have extra swelling in my hands and feet.  So many foods have extra sodium out there - take a look at the side of a can of clam chowder sometime :(  I'm going to be even more careful than I have been when I am cooking and baking. As much as I like my cardiologist, I would prefer to just see him once a year :)  What I've noticed is that more and more companies are making "low sodium" foods available.  The chili seasoning mix I used was 30% lower sodium.  I also drained and rinsed the two different kinds of beans. My husband likes to put elbow macaroni in the bowl first, then a few spoonfuls of the chili, a heaping teaspoon of cheddar cheese and then crushed saltine crackers.  I had never heard of eating chili that way before I met him.  Could it be a Cleveland thing?? I personally like just a little cheddar cheese on top of my chili :) I made this in my crockpot Friday night, because I didn't start putting this together until around the time Dominic was coming home from school.  He had a music therapy class at 6:15, so I wanted the chili to be ready by the time I got back home.  I am definitely making this again - it was so yummy, I didn't even miss the meat!!



Ingredients:

1 cup orange peppers, membranes and seeds removed, chopped
1 cup red peppers, membranes and seeds removed, chopped
1 cup onions, chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons margarine
2 cups water
1.25 ounce package Chili Seasoning Mix (any brand)
15.5 ounce can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed (any brand)
15.5 ounce can Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed (any brand)
14.5 ounce can Fire Roasted Tomatoes, diced, undrained (any brand)

In large stockpot, melt the 2 1/2 tablespoons of margarine, slowly and until the bottom of the stockpot is covered, add the peppers and onions and saute until just soft.  Set aside.  In a 2 1/2 quart slow cooker/crockpot, put the remaining ingredients in.  Add the peppers and stir with large spoon until well combined. Cook 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low.  Serves 4-6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...